[Python-Dev] -DINET6 in Makefile

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 03 Dec 2001 10:25:47 +0100

"Martin v. Loewis" wrote:

> > > Of course, doing so would be really stupid. Python.h *must* be the
> > > first include, or things may break.
> >
> > Why should "things break" ? I've doing this for years in lots
> > of Python extensions...
>
> Python.h configures the C library, e.g. for multi-threading (by
> defining _REENTRANT) or LFS (by defining _FILE_OFFSET_BITS).
>
> If you include system headers before Python.h, you may find that
> different headers are differently configured. In turn, compilation may
> fail or produce bogus code.
>
> If the module itself compiles correctly, you may still find that it is
> inconsistent with the python executable that is going to load it.

Sure, but the wrapped lib's headers files will expect the same
logic (they want to configure the C lib too; and for pretty much the
same reasons Python does).

In the end I think that you can't really say whether things break
or not due to the order of the #includes (lib header or Python.h
first) because both can make assumptions which may fail on way or
another. I'd close this with "Works for me" :-)

> > Back on topic: how are we going to get -DINET6 out of the
> > Makefile ?
>
> I just committed a change.

Saw that checkin. Thanks for fixing this.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH