[Python-Dev] Re: Generalizing "in" to pairs of sequences

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:08:10 -0400

Guido van Rossum <guido@python.org>:
> We *could* allow this for strings, but not for other sequences.
> For strings, type(s[0]) == type(s), and this avoids the ambiguity.
> The fact that currently ``noncharacter in string'' raises an exception
> makes it relatively painess to add semantics for it.  But I'll have to
> think about why I ruled it out originall.  I'll track down Eric here
> at LinuxWorld and discuss it with him, if we find time.

Alas, due to a massive screwup by IDG that I only discovered two days
ago, I won't be at LinuxWorld this time.  Which bites; I was really looking
forward to going.

"The bearing of arms is the essential medium through which the
individual asserts both his social power and his participation in
politics as a responsible moral being..."
        -- J.G.A. Pocock, describing the beliefs of the founders of the U.S.