[Python-Dev] Negative index in insert()

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 02:30:40 -0400

Tim Peters <tim.one@home.com>:
> I never noticed it, but agree it's strange.  Did you open a feature request
> on SourceForge?

Feature request?  Heck, if Guido green-lights this I'll fix it myself.
I haven't looked at the code yet but I'll be deeply surprised if it
takes me longer than half an hour to nail this bug.

> Hard call!  I agree it should change, but if it breaks code the "but it was
> formally undefined" comeback doesn't really warm peoples' hearts.

If we're going to "fix" division, we sure ought to fix this.

I've grown so used to Python being a smooth, consistent tool that fits
comfortably in my hand that I found this really quite shocking.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people,
and therefore deprive them of arms."
	--Aristotle