[Python-Dev] Customizing the binding of attributes

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 20:57:04 +0200

[I wrote]
> > - Shouldn't (my)instancemethod be a builtin? Similar to
> > staticmethod and classmethod?
>
> Yes.  I just checked this in.  The new name is 'getset' unless you
> have a better idea.

I wasn't talking about your getset object (which is already mentioned
in the PEP), I was thinking of an 'instancemethod' object,
which would accept any callable (for example a *function*
implemented in an extension module), and convert it into an unbound
or bound method when retrieved from a class or an instance.
Something like

class instancemethod(object):
    def __init__(self, callable):
        self.callable = callable

    def __get__(self, inst, klass=None):
        import new
        return new.instancemethod(self.callable, inst, klass)

only faster ;-)

Thomas