[Python-Dev] Re: Cuddly constants seek loving, stable home

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:44:16 -0400 (EDT)

Greg Stein writes:
 > +1
 >
 > -0 on a new module. Just make sys.consts some kind of attributed object.

  Agreed.  pyexpat just creates new module objects and fills them in
for things like error codes.

 > +1 ... Good call. That would toss some of the synchronization problems with
 > those files today.

  Yep.  The existing modules could import * from those new objects so
that backward compatibility is retained.
  The advantage of the current approach, however, is that we don't end
up with a bunch of initialization code that ends up sticking around as
part of the process.  Not a real problem for Unix or Windows, but it
might be on embedded platforms like the Palm.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation