[Python-Dev] Re: Inline code in other languages

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 20:52:25 -0400

    KY> ...and have this work.  This takes a long time the first time
    KY> you do it, but the text of the inline code is MD5-hashed and
    KY> the .so file is left lying around, so it's fast the next time
    KY> around.

    KY> It should be pretty feasible to do this for Python, i think,
    KY> provided the sys module provides enough details about how
    KY> Python was compiled and installed.

Slick indeed!  I don't see much that's beyond Python's grasp.  The
syntax of course would be more Pythonic, but you could probably put
all this in a module, hook it up with distutils, and hack out
something rough in a day or two.  Tim will port it to Windows along
with a frozen cygwin gcc compiler in a huge frozen binary.  Viola!

-Barry