[Python-Dev] PEP 252, PEP 253 and jython issues

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 18:46:52 +0200 (MET DST)

FYI I'm up to finish with the whole picture tour of PEP 252/PEP 253
wrt to pontential jython issues.

My head has not exploded but I'm a bit worried:
- on one hand for the amount of work that seems necessary on Jython
  side (but that's our problem)
- on the other hand by some design tangle: how to mostly preserve the codebase,
 how to make the life for advanced users easy and natural, how to follow the
spec.

I hope both that I'm just not clever enough and I have overlooked
things wrongly ...

Here is an outline:

high-probably non-issues:
 descr stuff up to backward compatibility with non doc/
 supported stuff

 top elements of the type/metatype hiearchies.

potential issues (design tangles):

  "layout/inheritance scheme for types/subclassed types":

   - subclassing of types (in java, in Jython)
   - multiple inheritance in the context of type subclassing
   - mro
   - potential mismatch between
   concrete subclassing (how Jython is coded and
   probably users hope to do subclassing) and   "delegation"
    (how CPython is   coded)
   - interdipendence between object behaviours in CPython, and Jython
     codebase and typical idioms

   - how super/dynamic binded behaviour should be invoked?
   from C/Python/Java

tomorrow will follow a filled-in version.

regards, Samuele Pedroni.