[Python-Dev] Improving bsddb detection in setup.py

Skip Montanaro skip@pobox.com (Skip Montanaro)
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:42:21 -0500

Folks,

Back about the time 2.1.1 was in the throes of final release, I submitted a
patch to setup.py.  Thomas didn't want to apply it that close to the
release.  It's still sitting there:

    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=440725&group_id=5470&atid=105470

I'd like to see this or something like it get into the distribution.
Sleepycat keeps changing file formats, so there are now three incompatible
versions of libdb out there.  It's a pain in the tush making the switch.

I know there's another bsddb module floating around out there as well.  If
that turns out to be backward compatible with the existing bsddb module,
that would be okay too.  I think you're always going to have to do a fancy
dance in setup.py because of the proliferation of incompatible versions of
libdb.

Skip