[Python-Dev] yield without future statement?

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 01:36:49 -0400

[Skip Montanaro]
> Yeah, but there have already been complaints about the change to
> what dir() returns for list instances in the context of the 2.2
> class/type unification.

I'm finding it impossible to keep up with all the discussions, but I believe
I've seen every msg related to this one.  I believe they were all wondering
why dir([]) or dir({}) returned [] under 2.2a1 at *an interactive prompt*.
Indeed, I beat everyone to that by asking Guido the same thing perhaps a
month ago <wink>.

> I can only suppose there are going to be complaints about other
> changes (from other people) if dir() changes in other ways.

Sure.  And now that Guido has suggested a richer dir(), there will be
complaints too if we leave dir() alone!  The richer dir() attracted some
real enthusiasm.

But dir() simply has no well-defined purpose beyond dir(module), so IMO
complaints about dir() are declarations of preference-- and nothing more
than that --and so unavoidable.