[Python-Dev] Any NeXT users out there?

Jack Jansen jack@oratrix.nl
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 16:06:43 +0200

> I've got to say, the distinction between --with and --enable, no
> matter how thoretically pure, in practice seems extremely fuzzy.

... Seeing that I'm in good company wrt my with/enable confusion I'll chime in
one last time, there's a couple of cases where with is used that are plainly
wrong. --with-suffix is probably the silliest one, as it is provided by
autoconf itself.

A distinction that I could understand is if 'with' options may require some
external stuff (or may be required by some external stuff) and 'enable' were
purely internal options. With that definition unicode, gc and malloc are the
only 'enable' style options.