[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Rasmus Lerdorf rasmus@php.net
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 20:17:13 -0700 (PDT)

>  - write a library using tools that produce an introspectable
>    descriptions of its interfaces.
>
>  - Language bindings are automatic and can be done without
>    a compilation step.

Of course, but this doesn't help much for all the legacy libraries out
there that we all have to deal with.  We all have the rather thankless
task of having to figure out stuff like liboci8.  It would be very nice if
that work could be centralized into a single effort.

But I agree, if such rules were written down and actually abided by in
third-party libraries, our lives would be much easier.

Perhaps something like swig is as far as we can go on the legacy libs
though.

-Rasmus