[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Sterling Hughes sterling@designmultimedia.com
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:49:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 12 Aug 2001, Paul Prescod wrote:

> Dan Sugalski wrote:

> > Nah, a name change would certainly be in order--we'd have to call it the
> > ParrotIO system. :) Making the core bits modular is one of the goals, for
> > no other reason than to make it easy to have someone responsible for its
> > maintenance and development that doesn't need to be intimately familiar
> > with the rest of the interpreter system. And so it'll still function
> > properly when we compile down to native code and don't actually *have* an
> > interpreter handy.
>
> Would it make sense to poll both communities for people interested in
> helping with this effort and maybe making it a standalone project
> (perhaps on SourceForge?)?
>
> In fact, there are many bits of the C library that Python people would
> like to replace or improve but we don't have the resources alone. Maybe
> if all of the scripting language groups got together we would be able to
> do it. I'm not talking about the larger project of sharing bytecodes and
> so forth, but I could see that we probably have very similar needs with
> respect to files, memory allocation, networking, event loops, process
> handling and maybe threads. And the other scripting languages are
> probably not too far off either.

    I know that there are some PHP developers who are also thinking
    along the same lines -- myself for one. :)

    Also, another area this might reach is into the extension space,
    we're all developing the same extension for each of the different
    languages, it would be great to find a way to pool the resources of all
    the extension developers to create one extension together (ie, a singular
    XSLT extension, used in Perl, Python, PHP, etc.)

    -Sterling