[Python-Dev] Direction of PyChecker

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 11:43:52 -0400

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> [Samuele Pedroni]
> > I'm consindering the possibility of adding a special mode to jython
> > (based on hooks and on porting the CPython tools/compiler) in which
> > you can retrieve the PVM bytecode of code objects, then there would
> > be still to make PyChecker java classes aware, but it could run
> > under jython. (Don't know when I will get at doing this)
>
> But is it really a good idea to codify PVM bytecode as the way to do
> introspection?  I'd much rather have a standard library API that
> parses a module and gives you a list of variables, functions, classes,
> etc., and lets you drill down into the symbol table of each of those.
> (I realize more is needed, you need to be able to inspect every
> statement too -- that can be done by providing access to an AST.)

While it would make my life easier to modify jython, I tend to agree
with Guido.  Ideally, checker would use ASTs.  I really want checker
to work with jython, but it's too much work to do right now.

The reason why I chose to use the PVM bytecode was because it was
faster and easier to get something.  I started trying to use ASTs
but it would have taken a lot longer to get anywhere.

I would like to support pychecker under jython, just not sure of
the best or fastest way to get there.

Neal