[Python-Dev] BEGIN_ALLOW_THREADS

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:34:04 -0400

[Guido]
> Instead of asking us to add more macros, I recommend that you use the
> lower-level C API that is used by the macros.  There's a bunch of ways
> to save and restore the state.  The macros are just shortcuts (and a
> handy way to make all the code disappear when threads don't exist).

[Martin Sjögren]
> Well, that's exactly what I'm doing, isn't it?

You are using macros, yes <wink>.  What Guido is telling you is that the set
of macros we already have is adequate for everything we do, so it would just
bloat our code base with stuff we never ever test if we were add additional
stuff we never use.  He's also telling you that you can write your macros in
such a way that you don't have to change them across Python releases, and it
was *that* complaint you seemed keenest about.  That one you can solve on
your own.