[Python-Dev] Free threading

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 11:44:47 -0400

    GvR> It was always feature number one requested by folks coming
    GvR> from Tcl, where creating multiple interpreters (threaded or
    GvR> not) is an acceptable pastime for people of good manners.
    GvR> But it seems to be wasted on the average Pythoneer.

    GvR> In Python, there's one good use I can think of: an
    GvR> application may embed Python and occasionally want to run a
    GvR> good chunk of Python code.  If it needs each chunk of Python
    GvR> code to run completely independent from each other chunk,
    GvR> creating a new interpreter for each chunk is a good way to
    GvR> avoid that changes to e.g. sys.path or tabnanny's globals
    GvR> made by one chunk affects the next chunk.

funny!  in a previous life i wrote a large app that embedded tcl for
its configuration language.  i did exactly as guido describes for
exactly that reason!  in fact, in tcl, you could capture a complete
snapshot of the interpreter in tcl source, replay that into a fresh
interpreter and be back exactly where you started.  a cheapo (but
effective) "save-game" like mechanism.  haven't yet had the need to do
the same in python.

    GvR> But apparently this habit has fallen in disuse -- from
    GvR> looking at the code I believe there's a serious problem with
    GvR> exceptions, where initializing the second interpreter messes
    GvR> up the identities of the exception classes stored in global
    GvR> variables by the first interpreter, and nobody has ever
    GvR> complained about this.  Or maybe they are still using Python
    GvR> 1.5.2, which may not have the same problem.  Or maybe this is
    GvR> the reason why PyApache has a reptabion of instability. :(

i vaguely remember looking at this, and (i thought) fixing it, but
that memory's off-line through the weekend. :)

-barry