[Python-Dev] FW: if-else with '|' operator - beginner's question/problem

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:13:56 -0400

What a fascinating newbie confusion!  It surprised and tickled me.

FYI, in Icon this kind of thing "just works".  e1 | e2 | ... | en is "a
generator" there too, and acts like the Python

def g():
    for x in e1:
        yield x
    for x in e2:
        yield x
    for x in en:
        yield en

Then the expression y1 == y2 generates the cross-product of the y1 and y2
sequences, succeeding in the end iff some pair of generated values compares
equal.

No, I'm not suggesting Python do that too <wink>.  It's more in the way of
noting that no matter *how* odd a question looks to you, some peoples'
brains are so wired that it's hard for them to view it otherwise.

finally-understanding-vi-users<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim