[Python-Dev] Using patch mgr for peer review - sensible or chicken?

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 18:17:24 -0400 (EDT)

Jack Jansen writes:
 > But whereas some patches get looked at quickly some can sit there for
 > days (or in some cases even months). This is a nuisance to me, as by
 > the time someone looks at the patch my development version of the file
 > has evolved again. Moreover, I get the impression that I'm the only
 > person with checkin permissions that does this, and that the rest of

  You're not the only one to do this; the weakrefs implementation went
through several versions of patches before being checked in (but it
did receive comments and improvements from others).  I've seen others
do this as well.
  If you think a patch needs to be handled quicker, perhaps a note to
python-dev?  The SF patch manager helps us not lose patches, but it
doesn't do anything to help us set priorities, or give us extra time
to look at patches when we're just plain swamped.

 > Am I too chicken and should I just check things in if I'm reasonably
 > convinced that they're okay?

  If nobody responds to what you think is a reasonable patch, check it
in and we'll scream if it wasn't.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>