[Python-Dev] HAVE_HYPOT still needed?

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:07:34 -0400

[Jack Jansen]
> As I was removing outdated #ifdefs my eye fell on HAVE_HYPOT, and
> I have this very vague recollection that some old 68K Macs were the
> only system where hypot() wasn't in the C library.

The only comments about this in the codebase and in NEWS suggest that's so.

> Does anyone know this for sure?

Perhaps God -- the rest of us run on a finite number of machines <wink>.

> If so we could remove the whole hypot() stuff...

+1, including nuking Python/hypot.c.  hypot() is a std C library function,
so any platform without it is plain busted; and an alpha release is the only
time we dare test that hypot<wink>hesis.