[Python-Dev] Interesting article: "Python Is Middleware"

Greg Ward gward@python.net
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:51:42 -0400

This was linked to from last week's Linux Weekly News, so you may have
already seen it.  If not, it's an interesting read:

  http://www.tundraware.com/Technology/Python-Is-Middleware/Python-Is-Middleware.html

Note in particular the last paragraph:

"""
  A Little Warning

  I worry about one thing and one thing only in the Python world. It is
  something I have witnessed in every new technology I've ever
  seen. Python is dangerously close to becoming a victim of Feeping
  Creaturism - not so much In Fact, but rather in this community's
  mindset of forever wanting to fiddle one more feature into the
  language. This will Kill Python commercially if it happens.  Too many
  variations on the core language theme make deployment and management
  of real systems too expensive. I, for one, would like to see a date
  picked for a permanent moratorium on the language proper, after which,
  only bug fixes and new modules could be added. After that date,
  language changes would have to be part of some new language ("Grail"?)
  which would owe no allegiance to Python at all.
"""

        Greg
--
Greg Ward - programmer-at-large                         gward@python.net