[guido@zope.com: Re: [Python-Dev] Re: WebDAV in python 2.2?]

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 4 Aug 2001 17:38:56 -0700

> From: Guido van Rossum <guido@zope.com>
> Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] Re: WebDAV in python 2.2?
> To: Greg Stein <gstein@lyra.org>
> Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 15:18:37 -0400
> > I'm not sure how we normally write tests for network-based modules, but it
> > shouldn't be too hard to have them run against test.webdav.org.
>
> Can someone help Greg with his question about testing network modules?
> Generally the test suite doesn't assume internet access; network code
> is "tested" using a second thread and localhost.

Quite doable, but we don't really have a DAV server that davlib.py could hit
via localhost. I'm sure somebody could jury-rig a simple responder, though.
Avoiding the bailing-wire-and-glue bit was the reason for suggesting
test.webdav.org.

Hmm. Some kind of subclass of BaseHTTPServer or something could probably
just send back canned responses.

Note that even httplib.py doesn't attempt a localhost connection for
testing.

Cheers,
-g

--