[Python-Dev] FW: [Python-Help] Python threads with suncc (Forte 6.1) compiler

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Sat, 04 Aug 2001 14:30:09 -0400

> BTW, do we actually need *any* auxiliary data structure here?  Looks
> to me like all these giant pylist thingies could be tossed in favor
> of making shallow copies of the input ifdlist etc list arguments.
> The giant pylists don't *appear* to accomplish anything except cache
> the result of a PyObject_AsFileDescriptor() call per object.  But if
> that's not an expensive call (doesn't look expensive to me), it's
> not worth all this trouble no matter how spelled.

Yes, I think we do need this.  PyObject_AsFileDescriptor() calls the
fileno() method which could be a Python call.

Maybe we could use a more sophisticated construct where we use a short
array allocated on the stack for lists of fewer than 100 (say) files
but use malloc for larger ones?