[Python-Dev] Python API version & optional features

Simon Cozens simon@netthink.co.uk
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 14:54:18 -0700

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 10:27:32AM -0400, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> I'm trying to convince myself that the magic number patch is okay, and
> here's what I come up with.  If someone builds a Python with a
> non-standard Unicode width and accidentally uses a directory full of
> extensions built for the standard Unicode width on his platform, he
> deserves a warning.

Shouldn't Python automatically Do The Right Thing in that case? That
would mean wrapping the UCS4 calls in a conversion layer, which isn't
hard. I mean, it's just a question of adding or taking away zeroes, right? :)

Simon