[Python-Dev] Proposed new module for the Python library

Eric S. Raymond esr@thyrsus.com
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 23:30:45 -0400

Paul Prescod <paulp@ActiveState.com>:
> Sounds "import fileinput-ish" to me. Are there fixes to fileinput that
> will make it applicable to your problems?

No.  The existing code in the fileinput module is intended to treat a
sequence of files as one continuous input source.  My module is
designed to iterate over files, transforming each one to a
corresponsing named output file.

They're both input frameworks, but otherwise quite different.  The
fileinput model is appropriate for filters like cat(1) and tr(1).  The
ccframe model, on the other hand, is appropriate for compilers and
file-format converters.

Our society won't be truly free until "None of the Above" is always an option.