[Python-Dev] linuxaudiodev

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 17:13:28 -0400

> The code in linuxaudiodev does its initializations in an order which
> is explicitly proscribed by the OSS programming guide.
>
> I have a SWIG-based linux audio module that I use in my code, not
> wanting anything to do with the (to me) highly suspect linuxaudiodev
> module.  Should I dust off this code and contribute it?
>
> Of course, if we really want to provide high-quality audio support on
> Linux, we have to account for a number of different options - at
> least, OSS and ALSA...  this is sort of a can-of-worms.  But I do
> believe that the current linuxaudiodev module should be deprecated.

Sure.  Do you want to take the lead here?  Nobody at PythonLabs has
any interest in this, and without someone putting a stake into the
ground, there's no point in even talking about it.  It sounds you know
what you're talking about, and you have CVS permission, so if you want
to do it, go ahead.

(For b/w compatibility we may have to keep the linuxaudio extension
around for a while, in a deprecated state.)