[Python-Dev] test results

Guido van Rossum guido@zope.com
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 15:52:32 -0400

> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> >     test test_linuxaudiodev crashed -- linuxaudiodev.error: (16, 'Device or
> >         resource busy')
>
> Something has /dev/dsp or /dev/audio open.  Are you playing MP3s or
> running something like esd?

Fred experiences this too with Mandrake on his Dell laptop, and before
someone hacked the extension module I experienced it on a Dell desktop
with Red Hat too -- no MP# players.  The wail that Skip hears is the
first second of "Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition".  I think
that different audio hardware has different Linux drivers that act
differently, and the extension module doesn't know how to properly
wait until enough buffer space is available with some drivers.