[Python-Dev] Parrot -- should life imitate satire?

Greg Ewing greg@cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Thu, 02 Aug 2001 11:09:12 +1200 (NZST)

Dan Sugalski <dan@sidhe.org>:

> In this case, the vtable interface doesn't cover general method
> calls ... The vtable interface, at the moment, covers the
> operators you'd expect to be able to override--assignment, simple math,
> most string operations, conversion duties, and suchlike things.

It sounds like a vtable is very similar to a Python TypeObject,
the main difference being that TypeObjects are first-class
objects.

TypeObjects are immutable, though - you can't use Python code to
change one of it's method slots. Whereas, if I understand you
correctly, you can use Perl code to change a method in a vtable?