[Python-Dev] Iterators, map, xreadlines and docs

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 05:17:33 -0400

>> I think that's a bug in map().  Anyone disagree?

[Moshe]
> I agree...but when we talked about it in c.l.py, I said that and you
> said map() should be deprecated. Why the sudden change of heart?

This doesn't ring a bell.  I don't even recall *seeing* a msg from you in the
.xreadlines() vs map() thread ...

> why shouldn't it be changed to
>
> [whatever(x) for x in file.xreadlines()]?

I'm not keen to eradicate map() from the face of the Earth regardless, and
until it *is* deprecated (if ever), it's supported.  But this is all moot
since I already checked in the map() fix.

How to deal with the iterator docs is still an important issue.