[Python-Dev] Re: Problem with SSL and socketmodule on Debian Potato?

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:14:27 -0500

[I wrote]
> > And indeed it does when I tried it on SF's Solaris 8 box, which has
> > OpenSSL installed and /dev/random.

[Martin replied]
> This has caused Moshe's curiosity, and mine, as Solaris 8,
> out-of-the-box, does not offer a /dev/random. I found two options:
> There is a third-party patch:
>
> http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~andi/
>
> which apparently works for all Solaris versions out there.
>
> There is also a Sun patch, 105710-01, which supposedly uses a
> user-space demon (just as EGD), see
>
> http://devrandom.net/lists/archives/2000/11/OpenSSL-Users/0244.html
>
> As explained, this is part of the SUNWski package.
>
> Are you using one of these methods, or is there another option for
> getting a 'true' /dev/random?

Sorry, I must've confused myself.  I was logged in on several
different SF CF hosts, and now I can't find a /dev/random on its
Solaris host, so I presume that it was never there and that I saw it
on one of the other hosts there.