[Python-Dev] PEP 0242 Numeric kinds updated

Paul F. Dubois dubois1@llnl.gov
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:05:25 -0700

I have updated the text of PEP 0242 about Numeric kinds. This proposal is=
 now
complete and a reference implementation has been created.=20

See http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0242.html

As part of this reference implementation I was considering adding a 32-bi=
float scalar floating-point object to the kinds module. This object would=
 then
be accessible via the kinds module although there would be no correspondi=
ng
literal notation. For example:

import kinds
f loat32=3D kinds.float_kind(5,30)
x =3D float32(3.14159)

would on all platforms I know about create x as such an object, which may=
 be of
interest to those attempting to conserve space in certain applications of
Numeric.

Comments on the PEP and this point are requested.