[Python-Dev] make clean and make clobber semantics

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:47:32 -0500

> > Another consequence is that after "make clobber" you have to rerun the
> > configure script (or say "make recheck").  This takes almost as long
> > as the rest of the build...
>
> So don't do that. Run 'config.status' instead: it'll recreate your config
> files (Makefile.pre, config.h, Setup.config) from cached info. It won't
> rebuild everything, but it rebuilds config.h, which is what 'make clobber'
> removes that breaks building.

Well, my issue is that before Neil "fixed" the Makefile, after a "make
clobber" a "make" would do the job.  Now, there's a dependency on
config.h but the Makefile doesn't know how to make that file.

Maybe it should.

But I've "fixed" it by adding a line to the clean target that removes
the .so files, so I don't have to use "make clobber".