[Python-Dev] Re: Problem with SSL and socketmodule on Debian Potato?

Mark Favas m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:34:46 +0800

[Guido]
> [Moshe]
>> Correct on both. My "worse" is: it would print a warning about using
>> an insecure method on systems with /dev/random but without an EGD,
>> even though it is secure.

> And indeed it does when I tried it on SF's Solaris 8 box, which has
> OpenSSL installed and /dev/random.

Interesting - there's no /dev/random on my Solaris 8 boxes...

> Even worse (in my view), the error message is as soon as the socket
> module is imported!  This is bad, because most uses of socket aren't
>interested in its SSl capabilities!

Quite agree - I've got OpenSSL on my Tru64 box (no /dev/random either)
and it's annoying to get this warning whenever I "import socket". If the
OpenSSL bits don't themselves warn about insecure methods, I'd prefer if
Python didn't take it upon itself to nag <wink>.

--
Mark Favas  -   m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
CSIRO, Private Bag No 5, Wembley, Western Australia 6913, AUSTRALIA