[Python-Dev] 2.1c1: "make test" core dumps on SGI Irix

Mark Favas m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:45:41 +0800

Recompiling floatobject.c without optimization makes the bus error
during "make test" go away. Perhaps the SGI section in the README could
be updated here - it only mentions a possible problem with
complexobject.c and Numeric.

"make test" now fails on:

test_largefile
test test_largefile crashed -- exceptions.IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid
argument

and

test_locale
test test_locale crashed -- exceptions.ValueError: unpack sequence of
wrong size

and

test_zlib
*** Termination code 9 (bu21)

More details:

python Lib/test/test_largefile.py
create large file via seek (may be sparse file) ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Lib/test/test_largefile.py", line 63, in ?
    f.flush()
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

python Lib/test/test_locale.py
'%f' % 1024 =? '1,024.000000' ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Lib/test/test_locale.py", line 29, in ?
    testformat("%f", 1024, grouping=1, output='1,024.000000')
  File "Lib/test/test_locale.py", line 18, in testformat
    result = locale.format(formatstr, value, grouping = grouping)
  File "/tmp_mnt/home/solo/mark/python/Python-2.1c1/Lib/locale.py", line
137, in format
    fields[0],seps=_group(fields[0])
ValueError: unpack sequence of wrong size

python Lib/test/test_zlib.py
0xe5c1a120 0x43b6aa94
0xbd602f7 0xbd602f7
expecting Bad compression level
expecting Invalid initialization option
expecting Invalid initialization option
normal compression/decompression succeeded
compress/decompression obj succeeded
decompress with init options succeeded
decompressobj with init options succeeded
Killed

Recompiling _everything_ without optimization produces no change. I have
no time to poke around further at the moment - later this afternoon...

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > IRIX64 dodo 6.5 07201607 IP35, MIPSpro Compilers: Version 7.30
> >
> > "make test" core dumps with no output from any test completed. Running
> > them one-by-one reveals that the (first?) core dump is in
> > test___all__.py.
> > python Lib/test/test___all__.py
> > Bus error (core dumped)
>
> Try compiling without -O?

Mark Favas  -   m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
CSIRO, Private Bag No 5, Wembley, Western Australia 6913, AUSTRALIA