[Python-Dev] make install produces compiler warnings

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@digicool.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:08:00 -0400 (EDT)

I just noticed that a make install prints out a bunch of warnings
about .py files it is compiling.  Many of the errors are in files that
I included in Lib/test that are designed to trigger errors or warnings
about future statements.  Rather than stuff all the different bogus
code examples into strings and pass them to exec, I placed them in
files that are imported by test_future.py.  nocaret.py is a similar
file used to test the exceptions printed for SyntaxErrors.

I think tokenize_tests.py is doing the same thing, but it isn't my
fault :-).

Here's the full list of output to stderr:

  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/test/nocaret.py", line 2
    [x for x in x] = x
SyntaxError: can't assign to list comprehension
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future3.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future4.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future5.py, line 4)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future6.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future7.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: duplicate argument 'rest' in function definition (tokenize_tests.py, line 147)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/test/nocaret.py", line 2
    [x for x in x] = x
SyntaxError: can't assign to list comprehension
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future3.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future4.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future5.py, line 4)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future6.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: from __future__ imports must occur at the beginning of the file (test_future7.py, line 3)
SyntaxError: duplicate argument 'rest' in function definition (tokenize_tests.py, line 147)
warning: install: modules installed to '/usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/', which is not in Python's module search path (sys.path) -- you'll have to change the search path yourself

Should we do something to quiet these warnings?  I never noticed them
before since there's *so much* noise produced by make install.

Jeremy