[Python-Dev] A kind of configuration question

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore@uk.origin-it.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:36:34 +0100

From: Guido van Rossum [mailto:guido@digicool.com]
> > On a related note, has anything happened on my other bug
> > report (406280)? At the very least, using tempfilepager
> > instead of pipepager as a workaround would be sensible.
> > Leaving things broken makes no real sense. This is a
> > patch:
>
> What's broken?  After "from pydoc import help" I can use help(...)
> just fine, both in the command line version (where it invokes some
> pager) and in IDLE (where it just scrolls off the window, but IDLE has
> infinite scroll-back so that's no problem).  This is on Win98se with
> Python 2.1b2.

It doesn't work in console version python.exe if you set PAGER in the
environment. I have PAGER set to "less", a much better replacement for
"more". This is on Win2000 SP1.

It works if you leave PAGER unset.

Please can this bug-fix be applied before 2.1 release? It makes it look like
pydoc just "doesn't work", as things stand. And the link to having PAGER set
is obscure, at best.

Paul.