[Python-Dev] Should Python #define _POSIX_THREADS?

Jason Tishler Jason.Tishler@dothill.com
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:40:59 -0400

Thomas,

On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 07:53:39PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 02:23:26AM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> > [Jason Tishler, passing on someone's objection to Python #define'ing
> >  _POSIX_THREADS sometimes]
> >
> > Right or wrong, it's too late to change this for 2.1 (IMO).  Thread support
> > across platforms is very touchy, because so poorly standardized and
> > implemented across vendors, and fiddling with *any* of that support code is
> > very dangerous.  Can you swear that Python never #define'ing _POSIX_THREADS
> > on its own won't break threading on some other platform?  If not, changing
> > it needs *lots* of lead time for x-platform testing.
>
> We could define _POSIX_THREADS only if it isn't already defined. Or better
> yet, defined PY_POSIX_THREADS, have the Python source itself just trigger
> off of that, and #define _POSIX_THREADS somewhere in pyport.h,
> PY_POSIX_THREADS is defined and _POSIX_THREADS is not.

I was thinking of something like the above, but not with as much
understanding as you already have.  Would you be willing to submit such
a patch for consideration *after* 2.1 final?

Thanks,
Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: +1 (732) 264-8770 x235