[Python-Dev] Little hits add up...

Mark Favas m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:19:44 +0800

Since it's a quiet time on python-dev at the moment <grin>, I thought
I'd just toss this bedraggled parrot in...
Every now and then, the comment arises "this <enhancement X> should only
incur a small performance hit". I just ran one of my apps under 1.5.2+
and 2.1b2. The little hits along the way have here added up to a 26%
slowdown. Around the time 2.0 was released, there was a brief thread
along the lines of "let's get 2.0 out the door, and tune it up in 2.1 -
there's some low-hanging fruit about". Any chance we could get someone
like Christian and Tim wound up on looking at performance issues,
however briefly <wink>? (I know, they don't have time - I just
remembered the old days on c.l.py when they'd try to outdo each other
with weird and wonderful optimizations.) This is not a flame at 2.x, BTW
- 2.x is a good thing! (BTW, gc.disable() improved things by 3%.)
--
Mark Favas  -   m.favas@per.dem.csiro.au
CSIRO, Private Bag No 5, Wembley, Western Australia 6913, AUSTRALIA