[Python-Dev] Python syntax checker ?

Greg Ward gward@mems-exchange.org
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:22:35 -0400

On 25 September 2000, Barry A. Warsaw said:
>     NS> How different are PCCTS and ANTLR?  Perhaps we could use PCCTS
>     NS> for CPython and ANTLR for JPython.
>
> Unknown.  It would only make sense if the same grammar files could be
> fed to each.  I have no idea whether that's true or not.  If not,
> Greg's idea is worth researching.

PCCTS 1.x grammar files tend to have lots of C code interwoven in them
-- at least for tricky, ill-defined grammars like BibTeX.  ;-)

ANTLR 2.x grammars certainly allow Java code to be woven into them; I
assume you can instead weave C++ or Sather if that's your preference.
Obviously, this would be one problem with having a common grammar for
JPython and CPython.

        Greg