[Python-Dev] 2.0 Optimization & speed

Christian Tismer tismer@appliedbiometrics.com
Wed, 20 Sep 2000 19:35:50 +0300

"M.-A. Lemburg" wrote:

> Vladimir Marangozov wrote:
> >
> > M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> > Hey Marc-Andre, don't try to reduce /F's crunching efforts to dust.
>
> Oh, I didn't try to reduce Fredrik's efforts at all. To the
> contrary: I'm still looking forward to his melted down version
> of the database and the ctype tables.

Howdy. It may be that not you but I will melt /F's efforts
to dust, since I might have one or two days of time
to finish my long time ago promised code generator :-)
Well, probably just merging our dust :-)

> > Every bit costs money, and that's why
> > Van Jacobson packet-header compression has been invented and is
> > massively used. Whole armies of researchers are currently trying to
> > compensate the irresponsible bloatware that people of the higher
> > layers are imposing on them <wink>. Careful!
>
> True, but why the hurry ?

I have no reason to complain since I didn't do my homework.
Anyway, a partially bloated distribution might be harmful
for Python's reputation. When looking through the whole
source set, there is no bloat anywhere. Everything is
well thought out, and fairly optimized between space and speed.
Well, there is this one module which cries for being replaced,
and which still prevents *me* from moving to Python 1.6 :-)

ciao - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>