[Python-Dev] Python 1.5.2 modules need porting to 2.0 because of unicode - comments please

Barry Scott barry@scottb.demon.co.uk
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:28:46 +0100

I have managed to get all our critical python code up and
running under 2.0b1#4, around 15,000 lines. We use win32com
and wxPython extensions. The code drive SourceSafe and includes
a Web server that schedules builds for us.

The only problem I encounted was the problem of mixing string
and unicode types.

Using the smtplib I was passing in a unicode type as the body
of the message. The send() call hangs. I use encode() and all
is well.

Is this a user error in the use of smtplib or a bug?

I found that I had a lot of unicode floating around from win32com
that I was passing into wxPython. It checks for string and raises
exceptions. More use of encode() and we are up and running.

Is this what you expected when you added unicode?

		Barry