[Python-Dev] Is the 2.0 xml package too immature to release?

Mark Hammond MarkH@ActiveState.com
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 09:37:22 +1100

[Guido]
> On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 05:25:37PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >by the XML-sig.  While the original intent was for the XML-sig package
> >to be a superset of the core package, this doesn't appear to be
> >currently the case, even if the brokenness of the core xml package can
> >be fixed.

[Andrew]
> I'd be more inclined to blame the XML-SIG package;

Definately.  This XML stuff has cost me a number of hours a number of
times!  Always with other people's code, so I didnt know where to turn.

Now we find Guido saying things like:

> > the best solution (and one which doesn't require
> > the cooperation of the xml-sig!) is to rename
> > the 2.0 core xml package to xmlcore.

What is going on here?  We are forced to rename a core package, largely to
avoid the cooperation of, and avoid conflicting with, a SIG explicitly
setup to develop this core package in the first place!!!

How did this happen?  Does the XML SIG need to be shut down (while it still
can <wink>)?

> However, if you want to drop the Lib/xml/ package from
> Python, I have no objections at all; I never wanted it
> in the first place.

Agreed.  It must be dropped if it can not be fixed.  As it stands, an
application can make no assumptions about what xml works.

But IMO, the Python core has first grab at the name "xml" - if we can't get
the cooperation of the SIG, it should be their problem.  Where do we want
to be with respect to XML in a few years?  Surely not with some half-assed
"xmlcore" packge, and some extra "xml" package you still need to get
anything done...

Mark.