[Python-Dev] Revised release schedule

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 17:28:33 -0400 (EDT)

I just updated PEP 200 with some new details about the release
schedule.  These details are still open to some debate, but they need
to be resolved quickly.

I propose that we release 2.0 beta 2 on 26 Sep 2000.  That's one week
from this coming Tuesday.  This would be the final beta.  The final
release would be two weeks after that on 10 Oct 2000.

The feature freeze we imposed before the first beta is still in effect
(more or less).  We should only be adding new features when they fix
crucial bugs.  In order to allow time to prepare the release, all
changes should be made by the end of the day on Sunday, 24 Sep.

There is still a lot of work that remains to resolve open patches and
fix as many bugs as possible.  I have re-opened a number of patches
that were postponed prior to the 2.0b1 release.  It is not clear that
all of these patches should be accepted, but some of them may be
appropriate for inclusion now.

There is also a large backlog of old bugs and a number of new bugs
from 2.0b1.  Obviously, we need to get these new bugs resolved and
make a dent in the old bugs.  I'll send a note later today with some
guidelines for bug triage.

Jeremy