[Python-Dev] Challenge about print >> None

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 03:04:27 -0400

[Tim]
> sometimes-you-just-gotta-trust-your-bdfl-ly y'rs  - tim

[Vladimir Marangozov]
> I would have preferred arguments. The PEP and your responses lack them
> which is another sign about this feature.

I'll suggest as an alternative that we have an enormous amount of work to
complete for the 2.0 release, and continuing to argue about this isn't
perceived as a reasonable use of limited time.

I've tried it; I like it; anything I say beyond that would just be jerkoff
rationalizing of the conclusion I'm *condemned* to support by my own
pleasant experience with it.  Same with Guido.

We went over it again at a PythonLabs mtg today, and compared to the other
20 things on our agenda, when it popped up we all agreed "eh" after about a
minute.  It has supporters and detractors, the arguments are getting all of
more elaborate, extreme and repetitive with each iteration, and positions
are clearly frozen already.  That's what a BDFL is for.  He's seen all the
arguments; they haven't changed his mind; and, sorry, but it's a tempest in
a teapot regardless.

how-about-everyone-pitch-in-to-help-clear-the-bug-backlog-instead?-ly
    y'rs  - tim