[Python-Dev] Unexpected rexec behavior due to _sre

Tue, 12 Sep 2000 16:56:10 -0400

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 04:48:47PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>The rexec.py module needs to be fixed.  Should be simple enough.
>There may be other modules that it should allow too!

Are we sure that it's not possible to engineer segfaults or other
nastiness by deliberately feeding _sre bad data?  This was my primary
reason for not exposing the PCRE bytecode interface, since it would
have been difficult to make the code robust against hostile bytecodes.

--amk