[Python-Dev] 2.0 Optimization & speed

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Fri, 08 Sep 2000 19:43:40 +0200

Fredrik Lundh wrote:

> mal wrote:
> > > - compact the unicodedata database, which is expected to reduce the
> > >   mem footprint, maybe improve startup time, etc. (ongoing)
> >
> > This was postponed to 2.1. It doesn't have any impact on
> > performance...
>
> sure has, for anyone distributing python applications.  we're
> talking more than 1 meg of extra binary bloat (over 2.5 megs
> of extra source code...)

Yes, but not there's no impact on speed and that's what Valdimir
was referring to.

> the 2.0 release PEP says:
>
>     Compression of Unicode database - Fredrik Lundh
>       SF Patch 100899
>       At least for 2.0b1.  May be included in 2.0 as a bug fix.
>
> (the API is frozen, and we have an extensive test suite...)

Note that I want to redesign the Unicode database and ctype
access for 2.1: all databases should be accessible through
the unicodedatabase module which will be rewritten as Python
module.

The real data will then go into auxilliary C modules
as static C data which are managed by the Python module
and loaded on demand. This means that what now is unicodedatabase
will then move into some _unicodedb module.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg