[Python-Dev] Thread problems on Linux

Charles G Waldman cgw@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:52:42 -0500

Neil wrote:

>I'm thinking of creating a thread_linux header file.  Do you think that
>would be a good idea?  clone() seems to be pretty easy to use although
>it is quite low level.

Sounds like a lot of work to me.   The pthread library gets us two
things (essentially) - a function to create threads, which you could
pretty easily replace with clone(), and other functions to handle
mutexes and conditions.  If you replace pthread_create with clone
you have a lot of work to do to implement the locking stuff... Of
course, if you're willing to do this work, then more power to you.
But from my point of view, I'm at a site where we're using pthreads
on Linux in non-Python applications as well, so I'm more interested
in diagnosing and trying to fix (or at least putting together a
detailed and coherent bug report on) the platform bugs, rather than
trying to work around them in the Python interpreter.