[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] CVS: python/dist/src LICENSE,1.1.2.7,1.1.2.8

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 15:59:36 -0400

[Fredrik Lundh]
> I didn't really think I would end up in a situation where people
> can take code I've written, make minor modifications to it, and re-
> release it in source form in a way that makes it impossible for me
> to use it...)

People have *always* been able to do that, /F.  The CWI license was
GPL-compatible (according to RMS), so anyone all along has been able to take
the Python distribution in whole or in part and re-release it under the
GPL -- or even more restrictive licenses than that.  Heck, they don't even
have to reveal their modifications to your code if they don't feel like it
(although they would have to under the GPL).

So there's nothing new here.  In practice, I don't think anyone yet has felt
abused (well, not by *this* <wink>).