[Python-Dev] Re: Conflict with the GPL

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Sun, 03 Sep 2000 09:35:31 -0500

> guido wrote:
>
> > I want 2.0b1 to be released (don't you?) so I put an extra effort in
> > to round up Stallman and make sure he and Kahn got on the phone to get
> > a resolution, and for a blissful few hours I believed it was all done.
>
> well, after reading the rest of your mail, I'm not so
> sure...

Agreed. :-(

> > After we thought we had reached agreement, Stallman realized that
> > there are two interpretations of what will happen next:
> >
> >     1. BeOpen releases a version for which the license is, purely and
> >     simply, the GPL.
> >
> >     2. BeOpen releases a version which states the GPL as the license,
> >     and also states the CNRI license as applying with its text to part
> >     of the code.
>
> "to part of the code"?
>
> are you saying the 1.6 will be the last version that is
> truly free for commercial use???
>
> what parts would be GPL-only?

Aaaaargh!  Please don't misunderstand me!  No part of Python will be
GPL-only!  At best we'll dual license.

This was quoted directly from Stallman's mail about this issue.  *He*
doesn't care about the other half of the dual license, so he doens't
mention it.

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)