GUI-Discussion; MacOS vs. MacOS X (was Re: [Python-Dev] Miscellaneous comments on Tkinter and related...)

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 16:15:18 -0400

Peter Funk [pf@artcom-gmbh.de] wrote:

> It will take years, before MacOS X will find its way onto the desk
> of the average Apple Mac user.  The Mac s mostly used in the graphics
> and printing industry (our cutsomers) where people normally don't
> even think about a OS upgrade, if they don't have to.  They usually
> run a mix of Photoshop, Quark XPRess, Artwork, illustrator or other
> so called creative software on the version of the OS they had on
> the machine when they bought it.  THese machines are usually used
> through a period of at least four years.

I think this is a bit incorrect.  Almost every Mac user that I
interact with (including all the users hre at Digital Creations) have
OS X running and using it at various levels.  Mostly it's waiting for
people like Adobe to release Carbon applications.

Graphics designers will be the first to move to OS X, not thel ast, as
they will ge the most fromt he increased stability and performance. It
all depends on your market.

The best goal for Mac OS would be to aim at full Carbon compliance,
and not write to Cocoa, or to the original MacOS toolkit.  This would
let you run on all releases after 8.0 I believe (maybe even 7.6).

Chris