[Python-Dev] A possible bit for a README or FAQ?

Thu, 26 Oct 2000 15:10:33 -0500 (CDT)

Just came across this error while running configure:

    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether the C compiler (gcc   ) works... no
    configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

The problem was that /tmp was full - sort of.  The system says there's no
space:

    % cat /etc/termcap > /tmp/termcap
    bash: /tmp/termcap: No space left on device

but df disagrees:

    % df /tmp
    /dev/hda5               153667     88796     56935  61% /

Short term workaround is to run configure with TMPDIR set somewhere else.
Perhaps this is something to put in a gcc-specific or Unix-specific section
of the README file.  I didn't see anything, and the message emitted by
configure gave no hint at the cause of the problem.  I realized what it was
because I've been scratching my head about this problem for a couple weeks.

If this is deemed useful I'll modify README and check it in.  If not, no big
deal.

(I have no idea why the system thinks /tmp is full... sigh ...)

Skip