[Python-Dev] Re: [Bug #117070] README instructions for configuring Setup are not helpful

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 06:45:49 -0500

[Fred]
>   Ok, here's the plan:  Change Setup.in to Setup.dist, and provide a
> copy as Setup.  Since this doesn't help if the source and build
> directories differ, configure.in can be modified to create Setup if
> (and only if!) it doesn't exist, by copying it from $srcdir/Modules/.
>   I have the changes to configure.in, configure, Setup*, and
> Modules/Makefile.pre.in ready, but I still need to update the
> instructions in the README & possibly elsewhere.
>   Does this sound agreeable?

Sure, except I'm not comfortable with having two files with identical
contents under CVS control.  How about not checking in Setup, but
creating it in configure if it doesn't exist?

This is necessary also for the following reason: when you build in a
different tree than the source tree, you should get a fresh copy of
Setup in the build tree -- another copy of Setup in the source tree is
useless.